What is the course about?
Networking is predicted to be a major growth area over the next few years. This course is for people who don't really like networking, but recognise the value that improving their networking skills would bring to their working lives.
Discover how networking can help you in the job hunting and career change process, and how it can help you grow your business. Learn easy and effective networking techniques which will save you time and energy, yet move you seamlessly towards achieving your work and business goals.
What will we cover?
• The value of networking in the world of work.
• Informational interviewing
• Clarifying your work or business goals.
• How you can use networking to achieve your goals.
• Formulating your networking message.
• Mapping and assessing your network.
• How to network face-to-face; techniques and tips.
• Practical networking exercise.
• Finding networking opportunities.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise how networking can help in the job hunting and career change process and in growing your business.
• Clarify your work or business goals
• Identify ways in which networking can help you achieve your work or business goals.
• Start using a clear and effective networking message to realise your potential.
• Start using your network to identify people who can help you.
• Obtain confidence about networking, through increased knowledge of effective networking techniques and through practical exercises.
• Demonstrate an increased knowledge of new networking opportunities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior training, experience or skills are necessary, just the ability to follow simple written and verbal instructions, and a willingness to participate in the activities which range from pair work and group work to individual exercises.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be a mix of tutor input, individual paper and pen exercises and interactive pair and group work, all inside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No there are no additional costs. You will be given exercises and handouts on the course. You may want to bring a pen and a notebook to record any learning you'd like to capture.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Developing a successful business plan, an introduction to project management, business skills for creative businesses, developing and managing your brand, Brand identity, Is self employment for me?
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details