Grow in confidence with networking - for work and business
Time: 10:00 - 12:00
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: CEN05
Duration: 2 sessions (over 2 weeks)
What is the course about?
Networking is predicted to be a major growth area over the next few years. This course is for people who don't really like networking, but recognise the value that improving their networking skills would bring to their working lives.
Discover how networking can help you in the job hunting and career change process, and how it can help you grow your business. Learn easy and effective networking techniques which will save you time and energy, yet move you seamlessly towards achieving your work and business goals.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• The value of networking in the world of work.
• Informational interviewing
• Clarifying your work or business goals.
• How you can use networking to achieve your goals.
• Formulating your networking message.
• Mapping and assessing your network.
• How to network face-to-face; techniques and tips.
• Practical networking exercise.
• Finding networking opportunities.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise how networking can help in the job hunting and career change process and in growing your business.
• Clarify your work or business goals
• Identify ways in which networking can help you achieve your work or business goals.
• Start using a clear and effective networking message to realise your potential.
• Start using your network to identify people who can help you.
• Obtain confidence about networking, through increased knowledge of effective networking techniques and through practical exercises.
• Demonstrate an increased knowledge of new networking opportunities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior training, experience or skills are necessary, just the ability to follow simple written and verbal instructions, and a willingness to participate in the activities which range from pair work and group work to individual exercises.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be a mix of tutor input, individual paper and pen exercises and interactive pair and group work, all inside the class.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No there are no additional costs. You will be given exercises and handouts on the course. You may want to bring a pen and a notebook to record any learning you'd like to capture.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Developing a successful business plan, create your elevator pitch,an introduction to project management, business skills for creative businesses, developing and managing your brand, Brand identity, Is self employment for me?
Lila is a Career Counsellor and Educator with over 20 years' experience supporting people with career, employability, and personal development issues. These include career happiness, identifying natural skills and talents, self-employment, networking and career choice. Lila started her career in the retail business as a Merchandiser and Buyer. After 10 years Lila realised she needed her own career happiness, which meant the freedom to manage her own career, as well as working in a profession where she could help people in a meaningful way. She retrained as a Career Counsellor, gaining an MSc from Birkbeck College, London. This led her to create her own portfolio career, working within many interesting public and private sector organisations and also running her own business supporting individual clients. Lila has developed, written and delivered bespoke workshops and courses to learners of all ages within FE colleges, charities and businesses. She especially enjoys the diversity of City Lit students' backgrounds.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.