What is the course about?
Very few publishers accept direct submissions, which means your journey to publication will almost certainly rely on having an agent put forward your work.
This intensive course takes you through the process of approaching agents, offering a series of practical exercises and templates to follow to give you the best chance of success. Suitable for everyone, from those with a book ready to send – to those who just want to understand how the process works.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- What a successful submission looks like.
- The components of a compelling covering letter.
- Resources for researching individual agencies.
- The 'dos and don'ts' of the submission process.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Understand how to present your manuscript to give it the best chance of succeeding
•Understand how to build and personalise your application around a detailed ‘covering letter’ template
• Find out where to go to get more information on individual agencies – and maximise your chances of getting published
• Understand what to put in (and leave out) of your submission.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for both those who have a manuscript ready and for those who want to understand how the submissions process works for future reference.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Tutor instruction, templates, discussion and pair work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have pen and paper handy, and a summary of your manuscript if you've completed one.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a range of professional development courses for authors. For more information please browse the Writing section of our website.