What is the course about?
In this course, you will learn to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) at beginner level on a range of topics using simple, everyday language.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will learn BSL communication skills at beginner level relating to the following topic areas:
- Meeting people
- Using Numbers
- People and Animals
- Colour and Clothes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand and use a basic range of simple words in BSL
- take part in simple conversations in BSL
- give and understand simple descriptions in BSL.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will not need an interview for Introduction to BSL – you can enrol directly.
You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught in a small group (maximum of 8 learners). The teaching delivery methods will include:
• Interactive teaching
• Pair work - breakout sessions
• Questions and answers
• Google classroom for resources.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There will be no additional costs for this course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
After completing this course, you can enrol on a Level 1 in BSL course.