What is the course about?
Learn about accounting topics such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, accounting technology and accounting principles.
What will we cover?
- The Nature and Objectives of Accounting Information.
- Accounting Principles/Concepts underlying the preparation of accounts.
- Balance Sheet/Position Statement. Categorise the assets and liabilities.
- Calculating Depreciation using Straight Line Method, Reducing Balance Method
- Stock Valuation. Three main methods - FIFO, LIFO, AVCO.
- The Income Statement or Profit and Loss Account.
- Calculating Cost of Goods Sold.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand standard accounting concepts
- Understand balance sheets, distinguishing assets from liabilities
- Understand balance sheet equation
- Be able to use the 3 methods of calculating depreciation
- Be able to calculate profit and loss
- Calculate the cost of goods sold.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to accounting, although students should be able understand basic mathmatical calculations - add, subtract, multiply and divide. Students should also be able to read and understand written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be given exercises to complete outside of class time.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students can bring a calculator if they wish.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to Sage Accounts,introduction to Sage Payroll or a short introduction to Bookkeeping.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details