What is the course about?
Learn about accounting topics such as balance sheets, profit and loss statements, accounting technology and accounting principles.
What will we cover?
- The Nature and Objectives of Accounting Information.
- Accounting Principles/Concepts underlying the preparation of accounts.
- Balance Sheet/Position Statement. Categorise the assets and liabilities.
- Calculating Depreciation using Straight Line Method, Reducing Balance Method
- Stock Valuation. Three main methods - FIFO, LIFO, AVCO.
- The Income Statement or Profit and Loss Account.
- Calculating Cost of Goods Sold.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand standard accounting concepts
- Understand balance sheets, distinguishing assets from liabilities
- Understand balance sheet equation
- Be able to use the 3 methods of calculating depreciation
- Be able to calculate profit and loss
- Calculate the cost of goods sold.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for beginners to accounting, although students should be able understand basic mathmatical calculations - add, subtract, multiply and divide. Students should also be able to read and understand written instructions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Students will be given exercises to complete outside of class time.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Students can bring a calculator if they wish.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to Sage Accounts,introduction to Sage Payroll or a short introduction to Bookkeeping.