What is the course about?
You will be introduced to the beaded jewellery techniques of knotting and stringing using a range of beads and which tools, materials, beads and findings to use to create a set of beaded jewellery such as bracelets, necklaces and earrings.
You will learn about which design and colour principles to adopt for your designs.
What will we cover?
- Bead knotting and stringing techniques will be demonstrated showing which beads and findings to use.
- You will discuss colour and bead jewellery design principles
- You will learn about which tools and materials to use, such as wire and threads.
- How to finish off samples and finished pieces using metal findings.
- Small projects such as bracelets, necklaces and earing’s will be demonstrated.
- Discuss how to work independently after the course end.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for all abilities.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations and hand-outs.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations and tutor samples.
Through 1:1 and group discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials will be provided, however if you would like to bring your own beads and findings
you are welcome to bring them.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
These courses, from the Summer School or 17-18 Main Programme might be of particular interest to develop what you learned or your outcomes from this course:
VV506 Textile Jewellery: inspired by Frida Kahlo
There are a number of exciting beading courses coing up in the 1819 main programme. Please check the website for details, or contact Visual Arts on 0207 492 2700.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details