What is the course about?
This course is designed for students who have studied Year 1 Latin and wish to improve their knowledge of Latin grammar and their ability to read and write Latin, as well as exploring Roman culture and history. We will use Reading Latin, by Peter Jones and Keith Sidwell (2 volumes), starting around section 2D.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover grammatical structures including:
- Perfect tense active
- Perfect tense deponent
- Comparative and superlative of adjectives
We will also be reading extracts from Plautus' play Amphitruo and exploring myth and history of early Rome.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have a developing knowledge of Latin grammatical structures
- be familiar with a broader range of vocabulary
- have gained confidence in translating from and into Latin.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for students who have completed Latin 1 module 3 at City Lit or have been learning Latin for around six months to one year. As the course is taught in English, please read the outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support with your English skills to help you take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course consists of translation, grammar instructions and grammar exercises with a high level of student interaction (individual, pair and group work). Students are expected to do the homework regularly and participate in oral classroom activities. Homework will require approx. 1-2 hours per week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring writing material.
Textbook: “Reading Latin” by Peter Jones & Keith Sidwell, 2nd edition, Cambridge University Press, 2 volumes:
- Grammar and Exercises (ISBN 9781107632264)
- Text and Vocabulary’ (ISBN 9781107618701).
Some copies are available in the library. An e-book version can also be purchased.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Latin 2: module 2.