What is the course about?
You will learn to lift light weights safely to improve muscle tone and help with everyday living, such as walking and climbing stairs. Each session will focus on specific muscle groups and build on the previous one to gradually build strength. You will learn all of the basic principles and techniques before being introduced to more challenging exercises. Variations are given for exercises to meet the needs of individual learners.
What will we cover?
The course will cover topics including the advantages of building muscle as we age, good technique, using weights effectively and safely, using good posture and care engagement, importance of warm up and cool down.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Warm up and stretch key muscles
• Use core muscles effectively when using weights
• Perform a series of movements using weights
• Perform muscular strength and endurance exercises
• Have a working knowledge of how to improve standing posture
• Choose to work at an appropriate and effective level for each movement.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Suitable for all levels, including those new to exercise.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Practical class work
• Following tutor demonstration
• Explanations including visualisation
• Some one-to-one guidance from the tutor, there is normally hands on correction involved.
• Group work
• Printed hand outs
• Use of images, repetition and some anatomical knowledge
Although there is no specific work set outside of the class, students will gain most benefit if exercises are performed regularly and practised between classes.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You should wear loose, comfortable clothing. Information on books will be given during the course, but these are not essential. Avoid eating at least one and a half hours prior to exercising.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other courses in the Health and Movement programme.