What is the course about?
This course is for you if you have passed your level 2 in BSL, but need more confidence in your BSL skills before moving on to the BSL certificate in Level 3 course. This course will enable you to improve your BSL productive and receptive skills in order to take part in conversations with other BSL users.
What will we cover?
During this course you will revise and reinforce your existing vocabulary of BSL signs, at the same time acquiring new vocabulary including some regional variations and grammatical principles.
You will learn to use and understand BSL at pre level 3 in relation to topics such as:
- everyday conversation and vocabulary
- fingerspelling practice
Illness and Health
- Social, recreation and leisure
- Home Life
- Shopping and Spending
- Food and Drink
- Work issues
- Daily news (current affairs).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate BSL signing skills by:
- developing a range of vocabulary relevant to a variety of shapes
- demonstrating correct and clear hand shapes
- using appropriate facial expressions with signs
- using turn-taking and asking for clarification
- demonstrating different strategies of understanding, acknowledging, confirming and exchanging of information during a routine conversation with BSL users about everyday situations
- giving examples of BSL variations and grammatical principles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is pre-level 3. You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will be asked to complete session/course evaluation forms and read handouts provided during the course. You will need to bring a copy of your Level 2 in BSL certificate on your first day of the class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching and learning activities will be done via:
- pair/group work
- classroom interaction
- demonstration through Powerpoint
- questions and answers
- explanations of the topics
- role play
- debate and other activities.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You are recommended to bring a folder in which to keep handouts provided during the course.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can apply for Level 3 Certificate in BSL. Your BSL skills will be assessed to confirm that you meet the entry requirements.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details