What is the course about?
This course, which takes place over 3 modules, will help you transition from GCSE to A Level. We will work on improving your intermediate grammar, acquiring more advanced grammar knowledge, developing your listening and speaking skills, and teaching you the vocabulary required by the various topics used across the exam units.
What will we cover?
In the first module, the sessions will focus on
- education and employment
- tourist information, travels and transport
- health and fitness.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- listen and respond to a variety of spoken Italian-language sources, including authentic sources
- use the Italian language accurately to express facts and ideas
- understand and apply the grammatical system and a range of structures.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an upper intermediate course and will be entirely taught in Italian.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Students are expected to participate in the classroom activities and to do approximately 1-2 hour homework per week.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The handouts will be provided by the tutor and also put on the course webpage.
We will be reading the following book throughout the year: Niccolò Ammaniti, Io non ho paura, 2011, published by Einaudi (ISBN ISBN 9788806207694). It is available from the Italian bookshop, Foyles and also as a Kindle version.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
LN351 Preparation for A Level, module 2.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details