Using Apple Mac OS: a detailed introduction
Time: 10:00 - 13:15
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you live in London and your job is at risk of redundancy or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: CAW03
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
The ideal course for Apple Mac users with little or no previous experience. Discover how a computer works, the common functions and their application. Through simple, step-by-step instructions, this course offers you the chance to get to know and understand how the Apple Mac operating system works and how to use it.
What will we cover?
• Parts of the computer and how they function together
• Introduction to key computer concepts and terminology
• Working with icons, menus, disks and drives
• The Apple Mac desktop, menu bar, dock and icons
• The Finder and Finder windows
• Folders, Documents (Files) and folder structure
• Creating and saving folders
• Settings and customising the computer
• Using Apple’s online and offline supplied applications such as Pages, Numbers and Photos
• Basic tasks such as copying, pasting and saving documents
• Basic word processing and using the web
• Working with a document
• Overview of other iCloud applications and their functions.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Use the mouse - clicking, double clicking, clicking and dragging
• Operate the computer using the finder desktop, menu bar and dock
• Locate, open, move, create, save and delete files and folders
• Use the internet as a resource
• Produce and save a basic word processing document
• Edit and store your photographs using Photos
• Create basic spreadsheets using Numbers.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course starts at a beginner’s level – no previous experience or knowledge is necessary. You should be able to follow spoken instructions, read written instructions and information, and discuss work with your tutor.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Each student has access to a computer for practical work.Step by step instruction, with demonstrations where appropriate, will help you grasp the concepts. Presentations will be made using computers, interactive whiteboard, overhead screen and printed notes.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No additional costs. A pen and paper to take notes. Bring a USB to save any work.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Using Apple Mac OS: Intermediate (stage 2).
Michael Harding was born in Canada, where he studied cinema and photography at Concordia University, Montréal, before moving to the UK. Since then, he has created striking images of architecture, art, people and landscapes for international blue-chip clients for their use in editorial, advertising and corporate applications. Michael’s work has won many industry awards, notably being selected in the Eleventh Association of Photographers Awards and further receiving a Merit Award in the Seventeenth Association of Photographers Awards. His work was selected for a Highly Commended Award in the Deutsche Bauzeitung “Visions in Architecture” European Architectural Photography prize. His work has been exhibited in both the United Kingdom and Canada. Michael has been Chairman, as well as President, of the Association of Photographers (AOP). The AOP is Europe’s most established organisation for professional photographers, working to ensure greater recognition for all professional photographers, as well as working to positively influence legislators in the UK and Europe for the benefit of all photographers.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.