Time: 18:00 - 20:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
Good copywriting skills are increasingly important. Whether you want to create your own website, write your company's sales literature, or are seeking work in advertising or marketing, this course will teach you how to succeed.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Writing copy for print and digital media.
- The differences long copy and short copy.
- Researching for a brief.
- Understanding the importance of audience.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Have an understanding of the different types of copy – web, print, long and short copy etc.
- Have a working knowledge of the basic principles of copywriting and be able to apply these to print and digital media.
- Know the importance of a good headline and how to set about writing one.
- Understand the importance of research and the value of a good brief.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have a good standard of English grammar and spelling. You don’t need to have had any copywriting experience.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Powerpoint slides will be used to demonstrate the basic principles of good copy and to illustrate examples of good and bad practice. Each session will include information and written exercises and class discussion with feedback after each section. There will be additional information online.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You won’t need any special equipment. You can work on laptops and tablets if you prefer, but for some exercises you may need paper or notebook and pencils or pens.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a range of business-related writing courses. Search 'business writing' on our website to find the perfect course to support your career.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.
Rosie Fiore-Burt has worked as a writer for television, magazines, advertising, comedy and the corporate market. She has written in-house and agency-side for clients including Queen Mary University of London, Getty Images, the BBC, the Maybourne Hotel Group, Lever Faberge, Starbucks, Toyota and many more. She has an MA in Creative Writing and a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education. She is also a novelist and playwright.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.