What is the course about?
Bring in a project you're stuck on, or an idea you can't seem to get started with, or just a blank notebook. This course will help you identify what you want to write, and why, teach you how to generate a surfeit of ideas, solve plot problems, being characters to life and rediscover the joy of creative writing.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Generating new ideas for plots and characters
- Revisiting existing work and bringing it back to life
- Resolving plot problems
- Delving deeper into characters
- Rediscovering the joy of writing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Generate new ideas for your projects
- Understand the common plot pitfalls and devise ways to avoid them
- Revitalise your writing practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is suitable for writers of all levels. You will need an active interest in writing creatively and fluency in written and spoken English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn through a mixture of interactive tutor presentation, discussion, and writing exercises. You may also be asked to participate in optional acting exercises to free up your creativity.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offers a fantastic range of creative writing courses covering all genres and levels of ability. You can progress to Furthering your Creative Writing, where you'll continue to experiment with a range of forms. Or you can take a course in a particular medium, including novel and short story writing, screenwriting, playwriting, and creative non-fiction. To browse our full range of creative writing courses, visit www.citylit.ac.uk/writing.
All students are invited to join us at Late Lines, our regular performance night for City Lit writers. Students are also encouraged to submit their work to Between the Lines, our annual anthology of creative writing. For the latest news, courses and events, stay in touch with the Department on Facebook and Twitter.