What is the course about?
This course is for Deaf people. You will learn basic British Sign Language, using simple everyday language in a wide range of topics. The course leads to a Level 1 qualification in BSL, accredited by Signature awarding body. The qualification includes three units:
- introduction to BSL
- conversational BSL
- BSL at school, college or work
You will be able to take the examination for these three units within the course.
What will we cover?
You will learn BSL level 1 in communication skills relating to the following topic areas:
- meeting people
- using numbers
- people, animals and objects in the home
- interests and activities
- getting around.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL
- take part in simple conversations in BSL
- give and understand simple directions in BSL
- give and understand simple descriptions in BSL.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to have basic literacy skills as you will need to be able to read basic words during class. You will write down briefly what you have learned. Your tutor will help if this is difficult.
Before you can enrol on this course, you need to have an advisory interview.
Autumn term: come to the drop-in session at City Lit on Wednesday afternoons 2-3pm for an interview (term time only). Please ask reception for a room number.
Spring and Summer terms: please email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 07624 809630 to arrange an interview time.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- pair/group work
- receptive skills from DVDs
- narrative short story.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Examination fees are included in the course fees
- DVDs and books are in the library at City Lit
- BSL for Dummies book can be purchased subject to availability.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you are successful in passing the level 1 in BSL assessment, you can progress to a level 2 in BSL course or BSL practice for Deaf people.