What is the course about?
This course is for Deaf people. It leads to a Level 2 qualification in BSL, accredited by the Signature awarding body. The qualification includes three units (receptive, productive and conversational skills). You will be able to take the exams for these units within the course.
What will we cover?
You will learn receptive, productive and conversational skills at level 2 in the following topic areas:
- everyday conversation
- daily social/work/school routines
- eating and drinking
- shopping and spending
- travel and holidays
- health and illness
- BSL grammatical structure and features.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate signing skills in BSL structure at level 2 by being able to:
- show a wide range of vocabulary
- use correct and clear hand shapes
- use suitable facial expressions with signs
- conduct a conversation with a deaf person
- show turn-taking and asking for clarification
- tell a short story.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to have basic literacy as you will need to read basic words during class. You can write down briefly what you have learned. Your tutor will help if this is difficult.
Before you can enrol on this course, you need to have an advisory interview.
Autumn term: come to the drop-in session at City Lit on Wednesday afternoons 2-3pm for an interview (term time only). Please ask reception for a room number.
Spring and Summer terms: please email email@example.com or text 07624 809630 to arrange an interview time.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- pair/group work
- questions and answers
- role play
- conduct a conversation
- receptive skills from DVDs.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
- Examination fees are included in course fees.
- DVDs and books are available from the City Lit library.