What is the course about?
The course aims to:
- build on the skills/languages acquired in levels 1 and 2
- extend your range of spoken vocabulary and written characters
- increase your communicative competence and familiarise you with variations of voice/accent (male and female).
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Places of interest in China
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Talk about the weather
- Talk about Chinese festivals
- Ask for and give directions
- Identify places of interest in China
- Learn about 60-80 new characters
By the end of level 2 upper module 3, students should know the characters for approximately 300 of the most commonly known words.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students will need to have attended beginners and 2 lower levels or have an equivalent intermediate level of Chinese.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g using money, telling the time, etc). It would also be useful if you had some knowledge of intermediate grammar terminology.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The tutor will advise students in the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Chinese 2 upper module 2. Please ask your tutor or check our website for information on our range of courses and workshops.