What is the course about?
This is an online class for everyone to come and sing choral music during lunchtime. Learn to harmonise and have fun while you're doing it. It's been proven that singing in a choir improves your health and wellbeing, so why not get involved? The choir is supported by a professional accompanist as well as recordings and backing tracks to sing along with.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Vocal warm-ups to help get your voice (and your brain) moving and ready
- Some basic technique and breathing exercises designed to help you get the most out of your voice
- The selection of music will cross several genres so there is something for everyone. From
classical choral works to folk, pop and musical theatre.
- Repertoire may include occasional sacred items from various traditions
- Repertoire will include part singing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Feel confident about singing as part of a choir
- Know more about choral repertoire in a number of genres
- Perform in simple 2- or 3- part harmonies
- Have a greater understanding of how the voice works.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for all levels from beginners to those with some experience. You do not need to read music but sheet music notation is used so you should be curious to learn a bit about reading music.
You do not need to have any choral experience, but it helps if you can hear notes played on the piano and repeat them back at the same pitch.
If you are unsure which course is best for you, please contact the music department for more guidance at
If you are unsure which course is best for you, please contact the music department for more guidance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
For this online course you will need a computer or tablet with a webcam, microphone and reliable internet connection.
We use GOOGLE CLASSROOM to share messages, documents, audio and video files and for you to submit
any homework tasks.
We use ZOOM to meet for classes via webcam.
Your tutor will teach though a variety of techniques:
- tutor explanation and demonstration via webcam
- sheet music, audio files and accompaniments (posted in Google Classroom)
- worksheets (posted in Google Classroom)
- group singing and individual demonstration tasks
Sessions may also include work on aural skills and musicianship as applicable.
To make good progress, you will need to practise regularly and you may find it helpful to rehearse your part
(and memorise words) between lessons and study recordings of songs to help you learn them.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
It's helpful to have a folder to keep your music organised, and a pencil for marking your music.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can stay in Choir at lunchtime for a long as you wish. There is different repertoire each term.
You may also be interested in one of our singing technique courses. Check our blogpost on Choosing a singing class
You may also be interested in developing your general musical skills through Musicianship classes.