What is the course about?
Practise the skills involved in part-singing: listening, reading music and following a vocal score, good intonation, good timing, memorising parts to song arrangements. Although we operate as an ensemble, you will have to lead songs in the online sessions by singing solo. Once songs are well rehearsed, we make recordings.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Learning to sing 4, 5 or 6-part a cappella arrangements of pop/jazz style songs
- Some work by ear only, but most arrangements are written
- Opportunities to improvise, usually during the vocal warm-up
- Maintenance of a body of repertoire
- listening skills and awareness of other voices and parts.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Blend your voice into the group sound
- Enjoy increased awareness of harmony and listening to others
- Demonstrate harmony parts and improved timing
- Enhance your understanding of music and yourself as a singer
- Broaden your experience of a cappella possibilities.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is ideal for experienced and committed singers. You must be able to sing in tune, demonstrate reliable musicianship, be keen to perform in a team, and able to learn arrangements. A good sense of musical time is vital.
Contact email@example.com to arrange an audition.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn through short vocal warm ups, recorded and played live in the sessions, followed by rehearsal of song arrangements unique to this ensemble. Musicianship training and some coordination exercises also feature. Outside of class you are expected to practise and record your allocated parts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Many singers stay in A Cappella for an extended time as we are continually learning new arrangements.