Fashion and editorial photography
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Photography Studio
The course is project driven and will take you from the creation of a basic story board through to a photo shoot. By the end of the course you will understand the workflow, the tools and thinking / planning required to run a successful shoot for yourself. The course also provides advice on getting material published.
What is the course about?
Editorial fashion is the first step for budding fashion photographers as well as being a tool for established photographers to market themselves. This course will take you step by step through vision development and mood boarding to lighting and shooting.
What will we cover?
- Developing mood boards and ideas
- Equipment for shooting fashion
- Developing teamwork and working with other professionals
- Lighting for fashion photography
- Digital image post production
- The role and client expectation in relation to fashion photography
- Working with models.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Create and read a mood-board
- Describe and use lighting and photographic equipment commonly used in fashion photography
- Set up, light and photograph an editorial fashion shoot
- Work with others as part of a team
- Create a digital image for print and online display.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate course. You should have a clear knowledge of how to use manual mode on your camera. You will need to be able to adjust your camera lens aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
The course also uses Google Classroom (an online teaching resource) for you to share comments with your class, download course material and upload images for group crits.
Google classroom login help
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be taught in the studio classroom using practical demonstrations and spending time in hands on practice. Handouts will be distributed electronically using Google classroom and you will be encouraged to communicate with fellow students using this platform.
Homework will be set including a group task involving planning and development of a fashion shoot.
The course uses Google Classroom (an online teaching resource) for you to share comments with your class, download course material and upload images for group crits.
When you enrol on a course at the City Lit, you are entitled to student discount on Adobe Creative Cloud
Please see the link below:
- You will need to create an Adobe account using your City Lit email address which includes your student number. (This is in the format firstname.lastname@example.org)
- You can access your City Lit email through your supplied Office 365 account.
- When your course finishes and you no longer have access to your student email, the software will continue to function on the installed machine for the remainder of the annual subscription.
- At renewal, you will need to create another Adobe account using your personal email.
- The Adobe account is not accessible to City Lit and technical support is extremely limited as a result.
- It is recommended that you do not use the online storage available on Adobe accounts as access to your work is subject to the continuation of your subscription.
- Adobe sales can be contacted on 0800-028-0148.
Adobe Creative Cloud for Students
Adobe Creative Cloud for Students - system requirements.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Bring your camera with manual controls. The City Lit has high end cameras you can borrow during the taught hours of this course. We are unable to lend you equipment between the sessions.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The City Lit has multiple photography courses in disciplines from documentary to studio practice. Please browse the web site to get inspired.
Ed Gregory is a multi-talented Entrepreneur and photographer. As the owner of iGROOVER photography and Picturesnap photography, Ed has over 28 years of experience in Hair and Beauty, Fashion, commercial photography, as well as family portraiture, events, and high-end wedding photography. Each of the businesses covers different aspects of this portfolio. He is an expert in shooting in Natural light, Mixed-light, and studio lighting and holds full professional qualifications with the MPA, BIPP, and the Guild of photographers. Ed's photographic and award-winning retouching and image-making have received accreditations and awards by all of the above national and international governing bodies mentioned. Teaching and Learning are a massive part of Ed's Life, and he feels it's essential to pass on knowledge. His background in education started in 1998, delivering HNC photography to London Students. Joining the CityLit team was a natural progression that has allowed him to give back some of the fantastic knowledge and experience he has accumulated over his long career. Software expertice in retouching using - Photoshop - Lightroom - Creative Cloud
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.