What is the course about?
For students to expand their flute playing skills and musical understanding, to gain confidence and enjoyment through progression in their abilities.
Tutor: Lindsey Fillingham [external website].
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Continuation and development of all previous learning i.e. tone, technique, articulation, intonation, embouchure,
breathing, phrasing, dynamics, vibrato, posture.
- Aural, sight-reading and memorisation skills.
- Interpretation, improvisation and creative approaches to practising and performing.
- Expand our understanding of music theory, style and context through varied repertoire (classical, folk, jazz and pop).
- In-depth study and analysis of core repertoire for flute
- Extended contemporary techniques such as flutter-tonguing
- Preparation to perform or record online, and using digital resources including backing tracks / accompaniments
- Support for graded examinations if requested.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- have an integrated understanding of practical skills and theoretical knowledge
- play with better tone and intonation
- have improved your embouchure, articulation, finger technique, and breath control.
- have an enhanced sense of interpretation and performance practice
- have a more developed sense of rhythm, improved skills in listening, improvising, sight-reading and memorising
- have a broader knowledge of flute repertoire
- have more experience of playing solo, with piano accompaniment and in an ensemble.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
For grade 6 players and beyond.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Group classes will take place via video-conference, where the tutor will teach and demonstrate repertoire and exercises. There will be opportunities to play along with the tutor and in solo spots. Additionally, each student can take up two short 1-to-1 slots with the tutor per term. You will also learn from listening to flute recordings and other students. Practice between classes is essential. Recorded accompaniments, including multiple parts, will be supplied.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to buy music for the course - advice will be given by the tutor. Most ensemble music will be provided. You will benefit from having a device to record yourself on, such as a smartphone or PC. You may want notepaper and a pen or device to take notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
ME103C next term. Also Wind ensemble, orchestras, chamber music, examinations.