What is the course about?
This is our second year of guitar study. You will learn a variety of songs and scales, and develop your ability to construct chords. Rehearse smooth changes and work on your rhythmic skills.
Tutor: Tony Rowden [external website].
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- We will develop a repertoire of songs in styles such as blues, pop, folk and Latin
- Students can also expect to receive guidance on song structure and arrangement
- Musicianship relevant to pop songs and the acoustic guitar
- practise strumming rhythm and finger-picking
- listening skills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play in a wide range of keys
- Play chords up to the 7th with some extensions
- Play basic scales in transposable form
- Demonstrate a repertoire of songs
- Tackle new music with confidence
- Play and be able to learn in a more self-sufficient/independent way.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have completed level 1 or have equivalent experience, at least a year of guitar study. You need to have established hand shapes for the most used chords e.g. E, Em, E7, G, C, F, A7, Am7, D7, B7 etc., simple bar chords - A type and E type, be able to strum in time, and pick.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will play together with your classmates and will be taught through tutor demonstration and instruction, practising songs, warm-ups and ensemble playing. Worksheets will comprise song chord charts and guitar tablature. Practice between classes will be essential if you are to keep abreast of the coursework and derive full benefit.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Music materials will be supplied by the tutor. Please use your own acoustic instrument.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course continues to 2B and 2C.