What is the course about?
This course aims to develop the four skills of speaking, listening, writing and reading. You will also widen your knowledge of French speaking countries through a variety of communicative activities.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Grammar: revision and consolidation of present, future, some past tenses and interrogatives.
Topics and functions: personal identity, leisure, holidays, agreeing/disagreeing, expressing likes, dislikes and preferences.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- talk about your hobbies
- express likes and dislikes about food
- talk about past holidays
- talk about your typical day using the reflexive verbs
- give advice using the imperative
- use the present, some past and future tenses with confidence
Please note that the above outcomes are flexible as the pace of the lessons will depend on the achievements of the group of students.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
French 2 upper: module 1 course. You should have done two years of French recently or have an equivalent knowledge of the language (A2 level).
It is also essential that you have some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation. It would be helpful if you had knowledge of more intermediate grammar terminology such as:conditional and pronouns.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Homework will be based on La grammaire en clair, (Nelson).
Please try: The European Bookshop - http://www.europeanbookshop.com (020 7734 5259) to get 10% discount as a City Lit student.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
French 2 upper: module 2. Please enrol on the next module as soon as possible as spaces cannot be guaranteed.