What is the course about?
This course is intended to provide you with an opportunity to revise the language covered in year 1 of Japanese. It may also be suitable if you have studied Japanese elsewhere for the equivalent of one year.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Introductions, asking where things are (in a shop, on the street etc); talking about the weekend (How, what, where); use of adjectives; describing daily routines, basic verbs in the past and present, particles and wh- questions, Na adjectives, revision of Hiragana and katakana.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Past and past negative forms of I & na adjectives
- Use Arimasu/Imasu
- Understand the existence of people and objects
- Describe where something is, ie under~, below~, above~ next to~ etc
- Use verbs with direct and indirect object with appropriate particles
- Use time and verbs to describe your daily routine
- Talk about your weekend using appropriate particles.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is suitable for learners who have studied Japanese for a year or so in the past but need to revise before joining year two of Japanese. This course might also be suitable if you have not learnt Japanese in class but have equivalent knowledge.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials will be provided by the tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese 2 Lower: Module 1.