What is the course about?
The emphasis will be on developing your knowledge and writing of Kanji and this course will enable you to write sentences using 3 Japanese writing system ( Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji).
What will we cover?
Learn basic 30 Kanjis, On and Kun reading, radicals, online dictionary use, writing rules, character order and shape, Kanji compound words.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Practise On and Kun reading
- Recognise and use radicals
- Understand the basic writing rules, including order and shape of characters.
- Write sentences using all characters, hiragana and katakana and Kanji
- Use compound words.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Near beginners - students should have knowledge of basic Japanese grammar, be able to read and write hiragana and katakana.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- pair and group work
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pencil and rubber.
All other materials will be given by tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You tutor will advice you on appropriate progression routes.