What is the course about?
This course will give you practical strategies for coping with your hearing loss and will help improve your confidence and well-being.
It will be taught in spoken English, not sign language.
What will we cover?
• Strategies and tips for lipreading and communication
• How to cope in difficult listening situations
• Explaining your hearing loss and communication needs to others
• Assistive equipment
• Useful services and organisations.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- understand how to make the most of your lipreading skills
- understand how to manage the listening environment
- know how to explain your communication needs to others
- be aware of useful equipment and services.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will have an acquired hearing loss and use spoken English to communicate with others.
Straightforward written sentences are used in exercises and on the board to confirm spoken words. No previous experience of lipreading is necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
In class there will be group work, pair work, practical work, lecture, demonstration and discussion.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring pen, notebook and A4 folder.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
From this course you will be able to progress to other lipreading classes of whatever level decided by mutual agreement and discussion.