What is the course about?
A course for students who are ready to develop their own ideas in painting with reference to the work of contemporary artists and experimental processes. Students should have completed Painting 1 and Painting 2 or higher level courses.
The emphasis will be on the process – ‘How do I take an idea/ sketch and develop it into a finished work?’ Informed by contemporary art practice students will be encouraged to expand their approach to making a painting, using research, experimentation, layering of imagery, exploration of materials etc. This course offers students higher level guidance with the freedom to explore their own ideas.
What will we cover?
- Source material and development of subject matter eg sketchbook ideas, working from photographs and projections.
- Experimenting with image making materials i.e. paint, drawing materials and mixing media and collage.
- Discussion of the visual language in painting
- Issues in contemporary painting.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a sketchbook/photograph as a research tool for a painting/artwork
- Expand and develop your initial visual ideas using a variety of art materials and processes
- Make a sustained painting or series of works over several days
- Develop your ability to make decisions about the development of your own work
- Use the work of current artists as a reference and influence on your own art practice.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Intermediate to advanced. You should have completed Painting 1 and Painting 2 or higher level courses.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical work, group discussion and 1 to 1 guidance.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Basic materials are provided however if you have your own paints and brushes you are welcome to bring them.
If you would like to buy art materials for your personal use outside of the course, City Lit students receive 10% discount off everything* from Cass Art, the UK's leading art supplies retailer. Your tutor will advise you on what you should buy. You will need to show your enrolment receipt in-store to receive your discount. Visit the Charing Cross shop at 13 Charing Cross Road WC2H 0EP or find your local shop at www.cassart.co.uk. *Terms and conditions apply, visit www.cassart.co.uk/students.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Further painting courses such as Contemporary Painting Studio, Ways into Abstract Painting.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details