What is the course about?
This is a course for students who passed level 1 in BSL but who are not quite ready to do level 2 in BSL. This course is not accredited, However, you will get an attendance certificate at the end of the course.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
You will practice productive, receptive and conversation skills in BSL at pre-level 2 standard, use a wide range of vocabulary related to everyday life. Topics will include:
- Everyday conversation
- Hobbies and interests
- Daily activities/routine
- Eating and drinking
- Attitudes and opinions
- Shopping and spending.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Demonstrate signing skills in BSL structure at pre-Level 2 by:
- showing a wide range of vocabulary
- using correct and clear hand shapes
- using suitable facial expressions with signs
- conducting a conversation with a deaf person
- showing turn-taking and asking for clarification.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You will need to have basic Literacy as you will be asked to write some self-evaluations and read topics and instruction.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- pair/group work
- questions and answers
- receptive skills from DVDs
- role play.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
DVDs and books are in the library at City Lit.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
If you are successful this course, you can progress to a Level 2 in BSL course.