What is the course about?
The course is a journey through psychological theories of leadership in recent years and how they apply to life and work today. You will explore some psychological insights for leadership practice and develop your understanding of how to be more effective as a leader, in any context. There will be time for personal reflection and practical application.
What will we cover?
• Introduction to some key leadership theories and their strengths and limitations
• Leadership Personality and ‘Brand’ – what is mine?
• Conflict and emotional intelligence – handling relationships with care.
• Time and energy management – what’s the difference? How do we stay the course?
• Leading change – psychological insights.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Explain, in simple terms several key leadership theories, their strengths and limitations.
• Reflect on and understand better your own leadership style and brand.
• Identify several ways of handling relationships more effectively.
• Reflect on how best to manage yourself (energy, time and resilience).
• Understand how people respond to change and implications for leading change.
• Identify personal strengths and areas where you can grow as a leader/potential leader.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Anyone with an interest in leadership at a practical or theoretical level. It is ideal for anyone wishing to develop themselves as a leader, but you do not need to be an active leader to attend the course (it is acknowledged that we are all leaders in some context, when we influence those around us). We will explain a variety of theories and concepts and so proficiency in English is important.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Presentation/mini-lectures, slides, handouts, group work, class discussion and self-reflection. There will be no formal homework set, however some reflection and/or practical application between sessions will be helpful to get the most from the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No additional costs, please bring a notebook and pen.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
PP133 - Psychology of wellbeing
PP134 - Introduction to DBT
PP121 - Forensic psychology
PP124 - Psychology of addiction
PP114 - Cross-cultural psychology.