What is the course about?
You will learn how to work with samples, beats and synth sounds to create your own original sounds and textures.
What will we cover?
* extracting loops, jamming and improvising with loops
* creating your own instruments
* creating your own multi-layered drum instruments
* patch phrasing
* advanced quantising and manipulating velocities
* drum layering and replacement
* swing and shuffle
* components and signal flow of a synthesiser
* programming commonly used basic sounds.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
extract and manipulate loops to create your own instruments and musical phrases
work with your own recorded samples
achieve a looser, more "human" feel
add body and definition to drum sounds
programme the basic sounds e.g. string pads, bass, eletronic percussion.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to have very basic computer skills (understand how to boot up a computer and navigate successfully using the browser).
You will also need to be able to read simple sentences and instructions without help and follow and contribute to basic discussions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes will generally begin with a demonstration and discussion followed by practical work.
You will work on an individual Mac workstation to practise set themes, techniques and skills, applying these to your developing ideas and material. You will present your work in progress regularly to the group, and receive feedback, support and encouragement from your tutor throughout the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Notepad, pen, own memory stick/storage device for saving work.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may also be interested in:
- Vocal recording techniques, Mixing and music production: advanced, Creating drums and beats
- creative live electronics programming: Ableton Live, Max/MSP, BBC Radiophonic techniques
- promoting your music: Music business skills, Make a website: WordPress for musicians, Promoting your music online.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details