What is the course about?
Further develop your skill and confidence in playing solo and ensemble music on descant and/or treble recorder in a friendly setting.
What will we cover?
- Technique: fingering, breathing and articulation
- Playing in unison with others
- Playing parts in small ensembles
- Broadening repertoire in a variety of styles
- Music reading/music theory as pertains to exercises and pieces played.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Expand the range of notes you can play
- Accurately play scales and pieces in keys including up to 2 sharps and flats
- Play with good control of breath and articulation (tongued and slurred)
- Play with good intonation
- Understand how to modify your intonation when playing with others
- Play a part in an ensemble piece
- Recognise and perform various styles of recorder music
- Read and interpret music notation accurately .
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who have been learning recorder for at least a year and who can already play to an approximate Grade 2 standard, or who have played before and want to brush up their skills to get back into recorder playing. You need to be able to listen to and follow instructions in English.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Classes are taught through tutor explanation and demonstration, group playing and individual practice (please bring your own instrument). Sessions will also include class discussion, aural skills and theoretical study.
A regular practice routine is essential to make progress (ideally at least 20 minutes a session, 4 times per
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your instrument(s), as well as a notebook, pencil and eraser. Music will be supplied by the tutor and course books will be agreed in the first session.
Have you read our guide to local music shops and choosing instruments? Where to buy music and instruments This blog post lists some of our local music shops and gives specific advice on clarinets, pianos and more.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The course continues next term at the same time, and will cover different repertoire.
This course continues with Recorders: return to playing
You may also be ready for Recorder consorts and ensemble, where you will explore a wider range of styles
and repertoire, playing a larger ensemble, and one per part in a consort. Your tutor will advise.
You may also be interested in general Musicianship classes and
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details