What is the course about?
To produce a strong, supported singing voice. To develop your ability to improvise. To gain confidence in performance as a soloist or within a group. Expand your repertoire, and develop skills learnt in level 1.
Tutor: Dina Azzam
Accompanist: Gabriel Keen.
What will we cover?
- Exploring the jazz repertoire and learning new songs
- Exploring the full range of your voice
- Understanding and expressing lyrics
- Study of rhythm in order to keep tempo steady and phrasing interesting
- Studying arrangements and harmony within the songs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- show that you have extended your vocal range and flexibility, expertise and confidence
- show that you have learned the value of listening and singing as a way of life
- work with a group/work solo
- use new repertoire and explore new areas of music
- know what and how to practise
- perform solo and respond to feedback.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be familiar with the jazz idiom, and will have completed 'Jazz singing 1' or have had six months or more of similar tuition or training. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Warm-ups, breathing exercises, technical vocal exercises, learning and sharing songs. Singing together in class, and solo presentation. Listening, giving and receiving constructive criticism. You will learn how to maintain songs in performance; choosing the song; discussion; stage fright; mic technique; song arrangement, counting and song interpretation.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own personal repertoire, music sheets and photocopies for musicians, and a folder. You may record the classes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Sing jazz 3
At any level, Jazz vocal improvisation is a useful specialist course for those who wish to develop their creative skills further.