The men who built London
Time: 14:30 - 16:30
Location: Mixed Mode (Online and In Person)
London guide: Eleanor Jackson
First lecture will be delivered via zoom followed by 8 guided walks.
This course will be delivered online and in person. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: HLW19
Duration: 9 sessions (over 9 weeks)
What is the course about?
Architectural History in London, through its most important architects, builders & engineers. Exploring London’s built environment today.
This course will be delivered online and in person, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
What will we cover?
.1) Introductory Lecture via zoom
2) The new Classicism or not - Whitehall and the heart of London - the genius of Inigo Jones
3) Si monumentum requiris circumspice - Christopher Wren and the post fire City of London
4) The Height of Fashion - St James’s and William Kent
5) In pursuit of perfection - Bloomsbury
6) A Grand Design - Regent's Park and beyond - Nash and the Regency’s plans for London
7) Unsung Heroes - The Embankment - Joseph Bazelgette, Coade and the engineers
8) Building a Better Tomorrow - the South Bank & Post War Regeneration
9) Reaching for the Sky - Rogers, Forster and the modern Titans Of Architecture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
Identify key London buildings/areas associated with major architects, engineers and builders
Have an increased understanding on the growth and change of the physical city.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
An interest in London. An ability to walk for 2 hours at a gentle pace.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Initial lecture via zoom followed by a series of guided walks. Comprehensive handouts for each walk.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Comfortable shoes and clothing suitable for London's variable weather.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other London guided walks. Please see City Lit website.