Cyanotype printmaking in a day
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: VS039
Please choose a course date
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This is an introductory course aimed at teaching you how to create your own artwork using this fascinating, easy to use, process. You will learn how to prepare and make a range of artwork using cyanotype printing, explore the process using photos, artwork and physical objects to produce your very own prints to take home with you.
What will we cover?
- Learn the simple chemistry behind preparing paper for cyanotype printing
- Historical and contemporary use of the process
- Exposure times and exposure methods
- Developing and drying prints
- How to make simple photograms, photographs and artwork for cyanotype printing
- Some basic Photoshop.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Mix and prepare a light sensitive solution for cyanotype printing
- Coat and prepare paper for cyanotype printing
- Exposing and developing cyanotype prepared paper
- Prepare artwork and photographs for cyanotype printing
- Make your own series of prints onto paper.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All welcome, no previous skills required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Demonstration, examples, practical work, working individually and in small groups, individual tutoring and group discussions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yes, a photograph saved onto a memory stick, and/or 2-D objects to make prints from such as plants, textiles, feathers, netting, paper shapes etc - anything that may cast an interesting shadow. All other necessary materials will be provided for.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to follow on with further photo transfer process courses such as screenprinting VS989 screenprinting for graphic arts or Screenprinting one or two.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Information and Advice Shop, open daily 11:00 - 19:00 Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 14:00 Saturday during term and 12.00 - 17.00 Monday to Friday during non-term. See the course guide for further details.