Design with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: VG534
Duration: 10 sessions (over 10 weeks)
What is the course about?
On this practical course you will learn the basics of how to use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and get the opportunity to experiment with a range of techniques that integrate vector graphics and pixel-based images. Photoshop and Illustrator are used together for illustration, graphic design, fashion, packaging, info-graphics and promotional material. The course will cover relevant art and design principles. The course is taught on Apple Macs but skills learnt can be applied to Windows PCs.
Adobe® Creative Cloud will be used to teach this course. Should you wish to practice outside class time, you will need to have access to your own Adobe® Creative Cloud licence for Photoshop and Illustrator.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Fundamentals of Photoshop and Illustrator for print and web
Introduction to the Photoshop and Illustrator environment:
- Workspace, tools and terminology
- Saving files: file types and their uses
- Colour modes for print and screen
- Features for design and illustration
- Layers in both programs and their differences
- Placing (importing) and amending files between Photoshop and Illustrator
- Setting up a tracing template in Illustrator using a Photoshop file
- Saving and exporting work to different file formats.
Working with pixels based/photographic images to:
- Crop, straighten and compose
- Use the Colour Picker pick colours
- Adjust tonal and colour values
- Define, refine and edit selections
- Retouch and repair photographs
- Combine images to create a basic photomontage/collage
- Work with Adjustment layers
Working with Vector graphics/paths and shapes to:
- Create simple and complex objects
- Apply colour to fills and strokes
- Manipulate shapes using selection and Pen tools
- Plot and amend paths with Bezier pen tools
- Transform and duplicate artwork
- Use Type tools for features for logos
- Mix colours and create basic patterns to save in Swatches.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify the main differences between and the uses for Photoshop and Illustrator
- Identify difference between linked and embedded files in both programs
- Work with Photoshop and Illustrator to ‘place’ a tracing template in Illustrator
- Save a body of work for future development.
- Export images for web and print.
- Manipulate and edit images using a variety of Photoshop features
- Select and isolate specific areas of an image
- Apply colour adjustments to images
- Combine several images together to produce a photomontage.
- Create designs using a variety of Illustrator features
- Use the Pen tool to create and manipulate curves
- Apply transformations to artwork
- Create a logo, icon or illustration.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge of Photoshop or Illustrator is required. However, students should be confident and competent computer users on a Mac or Windows PC and be proficient with a mouse and keyboard in either a creative software, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint or equivalent and should be able to download, upload, save, open and retrieve files. Some awareness of design for print or any other art/design practice would be useful.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions, demonstrations, handouts and health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in-group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance.
Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged i.e. planning rough designs on paper and finding images you would like to work on in class. Should you wish to practice outside class time you will need to have access to your own Adobe® Creative Cloud licence for Photoshop and Illustrator (the core software).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
To participate on this course you will need access to the latest version of Adobe Creative Cloud. As a City Lit student, you may be entitled to student discount on Adobe Creative Cloud applications. Please visit the Adobe website Creative Cloud for education webpage for full details.
You will need to create an Adobe account using your City Lit email address which includes your student number. (This is in the format email@example.com). You can access your City Lit email through your supplied Office 365 account. Please check the suitability of your computer system here: Adobe system requirements Adobe Creative Cloud for Students - system requirements
*Please note that your Adobe account is not accessible to City Lit and no technical support can be provided. At renewal, you will need to create another Adobe account using your personal email.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Please click here to view our courses in the Adobe Creative Cloud.
Gita’s practice as a graphic designer and illustrator spans many years and disciplines within the field. She has worked in print and screen-based media across major broadcast, corporate, NGO, publishing and state sectors. Gita went digital in 1991. She brings her experience and knowledge to teaching Adobe Creative Cloud apps for design and Illustration in different departments within Visual Arts at City Lit. She started teaching evening and weekend courses at City Lit in 2006, having previously provided bespoke workplace-training for companies and organisations. Her classes are regarded as fun, friendly and challenging, with extensive resources for both in-and-after course study.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.