Italian multicultural literature: letteratura senza confini
Time: 11:00 - 12:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Course Code: LQN30
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
What is the course about?
The course will explore and analyze issues of race, cultural identity, belonging, citizenship and immigration through the reading of extracts of the novels and short stories of the so-called "second generation” of Italian novelists and by listening to their voices with interviews and videos.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• A brief history of Italian colonialism in Africa
• An introduction to post-colonialism and post-colonial literature
• An analysis of the literary output of the main contemporary migrant writers from Africa (such as Igiaba Scego, Gabriella Ghermandi, Ubab Cristina Ali Farah)
• The position of these writers in the panorama of Italian literature.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- gain a better understanding of Italian multicultural society and of the thoughts and the feelings shared by many second generation Italians who live suspended between two worlds, two identities, two languages and two countries.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is intended for those learners studying at the level of our Italian 4 or 5 courses, or who have a similar level (i.e. have studied Italian for about 5 or 6 years and can read and understand spoken Italian at a high level.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course will be tutor-led, but there will be pair work and group discussions, and there will be some reading for homework between sessions.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Any of our higher level Italian courses (Italian 4 or 5), or one of our seminars.