Japanese beginners: module 3
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
What is the course about?
To enable you to communicate more fully and fluently in a wider range of everyday situations and conversations.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Japanese For Busy People L8,9, 11 ( partially ), 12 & 14
Talk about tourist destinations
Describe what is inside a building
Talk about whereabouts of things and people
Talk bout characteristics of thing sand people
Use basic greetings when visiting people and receiving guests
Express your thoughts about experiences
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use modifying nouns / adjective + noun
- Conjugation of I and na adjective
- Use arimasu/imasu
- Understand the existence of people and objects
- Describe where something is, ie under~, below~, above~ next to~ etc
- Use verbs with direct and indirect object with appropriate particles
- Use times and verbs to describe your daily routine.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have a sound knowledge of basic Japanese. You should have covered Lessons 1-7, 10, of Japanese for Busy People (3rd Edition) or have an equivalent knowledge of the language. You should also be able to read all Hiragana and Katakana.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart, using the link at the top of this page. You can also find the chart at the start of the languages section in our course guide. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and read course documents in English and be at ease with the use of number for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, etc).
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Japanese for Busy People - Kana Version (Kodansha International), Lessons 8, 9, 11 and 14.
Please try: Grant and Cutler at Foyles-www.foyles.co.uk/languages (020 7440 3248).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Japanese 2 lower module 1 in September.
All about Particles ( LBJ06 & LBJ07).