Learn English - learn about London (entry 2 - entry 3)
Time: 09:45 - 12:15
Location: Mixed Mode (Online and Onsite)
Before this course, you need to do a pre-course assessment. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7492 2511 or click the Start Assessment button on this page. Log on with your email address (not name). Use Chrome if possible.
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit) and your monthly take home pay is less than £343. For more information click here
This course will be delivered online and onsite. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
Check your level
Course Code: ESSS1
Please choose a course date
Duration: 6 sessions (over 3 weeks)
What is the course about?
This course will help you learn about London and improve your English at the same time. You will learn about different places in London and about people who have lived there – in the past and now. You will also learn about important events in the past and present. You will visit places. You will read about these places and talk or write about them. You will also talk about how you feel about living in London. You will improve your vocabulary, your grammar, your writing, reading, listening and speaking.
This course will be delivered online and onsite, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
What will we cover?
• visits to important and interesting areas of London
• the history of these places and the people who live there
• the vocabulary to describe places and peoples
• the language for giving opinions
• the grammar to talk about change including verb tenses
• writing correct sentences and paragraphs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel more at home in London
• describe, talk and/or write about areas of London, the people who live there
• talk and write about important events in London’s history
• use a wide range vocabulary to describe people and places
• use language to give opinions and make comments
• use a verb tenses to talk about the past and about change.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is for Entry 2-3 i.e. elementary/pre-intermediate ESOL students. It is for anyone who wants communicate basic in everyday life and learn more about London life.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This will be a dynamic, exciting and creative course with lots of interaction and participation as well as visits around the city.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There should be no additional costs since the places visited will be free. But you should bring a pen, paper and folder to class.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many courses you could do next. You could join one our general ESOL courses with or without an exam either E2, E3 or L1. Or our ESOL E2-E3 course. Other courses include:
• ESOL: How to think in English (E3-L1)
• ESOL communicating at work: customer care (entry 3-level 1)
• ESOL and singing: sing your way to better English (entry 3- level 2)
Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more details.