Learning to use your iPhone
Time: 10:00 - 17:30
Location: Keeley Street
This course is FREE if a) you are on a Low Wage or b) you are either on Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA) or Employment & Support Allowance(ESA) or c) you want to get a job or progress into a better job and you receive other state benefits (including Universal Credit). For more information click here
What is the course about?
This course will help you make the most of your iPhone. You will focus on from how to set up your new iPhone, how to transfer data from your old smartphone to your new one, how to set up mail, contacts, and calendars, how to use iMessage, FaceTime and your Camera, how to use Notes and how to download apps and games.
What will we cover?
• setting up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up Wi-Fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transferring data from your old phone
• setting up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• setting up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• setting up Google sync
• using iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• using FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• using your Camera including fast camera access, launching it with Siri, taking better photos and editing them
• creating new Notes, editing and deleting them, and adding photos to them
• downloading apps and games.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• use your iPhone confidently and make the most of its main features
• set up your new iPhone including setting passcodes and touch ID, storing and syncing your passwords across all your devices, setting up Wi-Fi, setting up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant
• transfer data from your old phone
• set up iCloud, contacts and calendar
• set up Gmail, Google calendar and contacts
• set up Google sync
• use iMessage to send text, pictures, videos and sound
• use FaceTime to made video or audio calls and use parental control restrictions
• use your Camera including fast camera access, launch it with Siri, take better photos and edit them
• create new Notes, edit and delete them, and add photos to them
• download apps and games.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for those who wish to improve their general digital literacy and in particular those looking to become more confident on their iPhone – a computer in your pocket!
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will learn in a supportive and welcoming environment with an emphasis on your discovering how to do and complete tasks and functions, with guidance from the tutor. You will learn in a step by step manner so you can achieve challenging aims in an enjoyable and productive way. You will have lots of opportunities to practise as well as understand what you are doing and why. Everyone will be encouraged to participate and interact in a way that is best for them, including working in pairs and groups, as well as on your own. You will need to do work outside the classroom and use Google Classroom to help you.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring your own iPhone. Please also bring a folder, pens and paper. There are no additional costs.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course is part of our general digital skills programme. We recommend our Becoming Confident series to gain a good foundation in digital skills. This programme includes:
• Complete beginners: becoming confident on your computer and online
• Becoming confident with digital skills: on your computer and online (beginner)
• Becoming confident with online communication: Zoom
• Becoming confident on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident on Twitter and Instagram: for complete beginners
• Becoming confident in digital skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (beginner)
• Becoming confident in file management and Windows 10 on your PC (beginners)
• Becoming confident on the cloud: a new way of sharing and working with files (OneDrive) / (Google)
• Becoming confident and secure with mobile data: safely managing and syncing your files and accounts across your computer, smartphone and tablet
• Becoming confident in digital security: how to protect your data and privacy on your PC, Internet and smartphone
• Becoming a MORE confident digital citizen: online and on your computer
• Making sense of Windows 11
There also many maths, English, employability and communication skills courses you can do. Ask your tutor or contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511 for more detail. These include:
• Maths for life and work (foundation) / (level 1)
• Becoming confident in algebra: problem-solving with equations (level 1-2)
• Becoming confident in numbers: mental maths (level 1-2)
• Becoming data literate: how to understand the data all around you (level 1-2)
• Professional communication skills: how to make your writing clear, concise and organised
• Professional communication skills: business writing from memos to storytelling (level 2)
• Professional communication skills: creating a positive image from job hire to promotion
• Workplace communication: using the right language when applying for jobs.