Life drawing after work
Time: 18:30 - 20:30
Location: Keeley Street
Choose a start date
- Course Code: VH202
- Dates: 09/01/24 - 30/01/24
- Time: 18:30 - 20:30
- Taught: Tue, Evening
- Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
- Tutor: Eleanor Bedlow
Course Code: VH202
Choose a start date
Duration: 4 sessions (over 4 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Working with a variety of life models, you will be shown ways of drawing using light and shadow and methods to measure proportion. You will draw in various materials including charcoal and pencil, making drawings from standing, sitting and reclining poses for varying lengths of time, you will gain a good foundation in life drawing skills.
What will we cover?
- Each week you will be taken through a different project, you will look at proportions of the body and the use of tone and line in representing the life model.
- Your tutor will give you drawing exercises designed to improve your observational and in particular figure and portrait drawing skills.
- We will look at the historical and contemporary context of life drawing and look at examples of artists who draw the figure.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Have gained confidence and skills in observational drawing
- Use a range of drawing materials and techniques in the context of life drawing
- Utilse tonal values (light and dark) to denote volume in the human form
- Use 'foreshortening' techniques
- Have improved accuracy in drawing bodily proportions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous life drawing experience needed, some basic drawing experience either on a course, or in your own time would help, This is an introduction to working directly from life, from the nude figure both male and female.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Practical work in the studio, with an introduction to each session, and demonstration by the tutor. Individual tutoring with regular feedback and some discussion in the group. Work outside the class is optional.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All drawing materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are many life drawing courses to choose from eg: Life Drawing: a Contemporary Approach, Life Drawing: Experimental Approaches, Life Drawing into Painting.
Eleanor develops precarious and fragile forms through drawing, painting and sculpture. The abstracted forms of the sculptures are heavily influenced by drawings of architecture, organic forms and landscape. The work questions the interconnection between personal identity and place. Eleanor spent her formative years in Japan before moving to London. She completed the Drawing Year at the Royal Drawing School in 2008 and the Turps Art School’s Studio Programme in 2018. She has been teaching since 2008. Website: www.elbedlow.co.uk Instagram: @eleanorbedlow
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.