Time: 19:45 - 21:15
Location: Keeley Street
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Cello Workshop is aimed at those who are playing at around Grade 4 standard. You will develop your technique and musicianship on the cello, learning in a friendly and supportive atmosphere.
What will we cover?
- Scales, arpeggios and other technical work, in keys up to 3 sharps and 2 flats
- Shifting and position work, up to thumb position
- playing from music notated in bass, tenor and treble clefs
- Solo and group playing in both solo and ensemble repertoire
- Tone production and variety of tone
- Developing artistry with the bow, with a focus on legato, staccato and portato
- Relaxed and efficient posture.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play technical work at an increasingly high standard
- Use vibrato appropriately to control and vary your tone quality
- Play with sensitivity to musical style in a range of cello repertoire
- Improve your playing posture
- Improve your tone production and use of dynamics
- Be able to play in higher left hand positions, including thumb position
- Play solo and in ensemble with more confidence.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You need to be at least Grade 4 standard at the start of this course. You need to be able to work collaboratively, and you will also have opportunities to play solo. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- tutor demonstration and explanation
- group playing of technical work, studies and solo and ensemble repertoire
- short solo 'master class' type work with individual students within the context of the group
- feedback from tutor and classmates
- sharing of resources and feedback via Google Classroom
A daily practice routine is essential for progress at this level (at least 30 mins 5 times per week is recommended).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need your own cello, bow, case, a pencil, rosin and spare strings.
The tutor will provide musical materials via Google Classroom.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may continue in Cello workshop for as many terms as you wish until you are ready to move onto Cello advanced workshop. Your tutor will advise you.
You may also be interested in ensemble playing classes such as String ensemble, String Winter/Easter/Summer school, and Chamber music: intermediate. City Lit also has a wide range of Music theory, Musicianship and Music history courses that support your practical learning.
Una has a successful freelance career as a cellist, performing as soloist, quartet member and in numerous ensembles and orchestras, including the Ulster Orchestra, Garden Opera, English Symphony Orchestra and the London Mozart Players. She collaborates with chamber choirs, cabaret acts and for Live Music Now and the BBC, conducts and arranges music for four regular orchestras, conducts the Lewisham Junior Orchestra, and had played for many recording sessions including the best-selling album, Dummy by Portishead, and a recent album of female composers. Sherecently formed a piano trio with Gisela Myer and Natalee Jeremic. Una plays a 1790s Hardy cello. In 2017, Una won Classic FM Peripatetic Teacher of the Year, for which she was nomintated by her City Lit students and endorsed by her other college and private students, who range from six to over 80 years old. The citation praised Una’s ability to “bring a miracle mix of laughter, encouragement, and challenge to everyone she teaches” and her “ability to seek out areas for improvement in the most constructive way,“ with an ideal mix of solo and ensemble repertoire and technical work.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.