What is the course about?
• A fast-paced introduction to the WordPress Content Management system – Computer software that allows you to quickly and easily create and maintain websites and/or blogs.
• Learners wishing to cover this material at a slower pace over multiple sessions may want to consider the City Lit course WordPress: introduction
• Learners wishing to use WordPress primarily to blog and who wish to examine blogging in more detail may prefer the course "Blogging: write your own blog using WordPress".
What will we cover?
• What is WordPress?
• Getting started with WordPress – WordPress.com and self-hosted sites
• Creating, modifying and deleting web pages
• Adding and modifying text, pictures and video in a website
• Styling a WordPress site with Themes.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Recognise the key concepts of WordPress
• Be able to create and manage a simple WordPress website.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Beginner level. You should have basic computing skills and experience of using a web browser on a PC or Mac.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught step by step through using demonstrations and presentations. Each student has access to a
computer for practical work.
The course is taught using the free-hosted service Wordpress.com. Differences between this and self-hosted
WordPress sites will be discussed.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
There are no additional costs. You will need an email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Blogging: writing your own blog using WordPress, WordPress: intermediate, Design your own website using
WordPress: for visual artists, HTML5 & CSS: introduction (stage 1). You might also want to explore some of our
digital marketing courses such as Search engine optimisation (SEO), Google analytics: introduction or City Lit
Pro: introduction to marketing metrics and ROI.