What is the course about?
Gain a good general overview of contemporary guitar technique, including finger picking and strumming patterns, scale and melody playing, posture and rhythm work.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Each week a piece will be chosen to highlight a specific area of guitar technique at this level, building a varied repertoire. Musicianship pertaining to the subject is taught, e.g. to help you transpose songs, or improvise.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play in any key
- Work out chords for songs
- Demonstrate an understanding of the way chords interrelate
- Improvise over simple chord progressions
- Provide effective accompaniment, including bassline figures.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to play all major and minor chords, have some experience of bar chords, and a working knowledge of music theory - equivalent to completion of level 2 guitar. You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through group work (playing together) with individual attention where appropriate. Practice between classes is essential to your progress.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All music materials will be provided by the tutor. Use your own acoustic or electric instrument.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Continue to Folk and pop guitar 3B and 3C.