What is the course about?
This intermediate course will help extend your sax technique and repertoire of tunes. Improve your musicianship, and build upon the work covered in Saxophone level 2. This is our third year of instrumental study.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- An understanding of the saxophone in popular and contemporary music
- Structured use of scales, harmony and theory
- Learn jazz standard tunes
- Extend your ability to improvise
- Saxophone ensemble work, in recorded form while the course remains online
- Routines for practice.
- Exercises to develop your musicianship.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Show improvement in your control of tone, volume and intonation
- Play written parts in sax ensemble arrangements
- Improvise over a given chord sequence (with and without music)
- Memorise your study tunes and perform them
- Recognise essential chord sequences and demonstrate an understanding of the theory behind them.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should be able to play the chromatic scale 2 octaves from bottom C to top C, and you should already know the major scales of C, G, F, and A, the minor pentatonic on A, D and G, and their chord notes, played with the following articulations: tongued, slurred, swing time. You should also understand treble clef notation, time signatures and metre.
You will need to follow written and verbal instructions in English and engage in class discussions.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught through tutor demonstration, learning tunes, and associated musicianship. Weekly practice of technical matters on the instrument.
Practice between classes will be essential to your progress. Students will be expected to make space and time for practice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
A music stand and metronome are essential for practice at home. You will need to purchase a saxophone tutor book on the advice of your tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course continues to Sax 3B and 3C.