Stop motion animation: personal projects
Time: 10:30 - 16:30
Location: Keeley Street
Course Code: VK106
Duration: 4 sessions
What is the course about?
This practical intensive course, taught by contemporary animation practitioners, is designed to cater to you and your project’s individual needs. You will be guided through every step of your project from planning through to post production. As well as developing your skills and techniques relevant to your project, the course aims to promote a creative community fostering an environment for innovative practice. Throughout the course you will be introduced to the inspirational work of contemporary animators and moving image artists and you will be encouraged to consider using a range of materials and processes to enhance your work.
What will we cover?
- Contemporary narrative and fine art animation practice.
- Storyboarding, planning and scheduling your project
- Revising and developing a range of stop motion techniques relevant to projects
- Researching, commissioning and recording sound
- Revising and developing Stop motion capture using Dragon Frame and DSLR cameras
- Editing, compositing and special effects using Premiere Pro CC
- Offering and responding to critical feedback
- Exporting movies using appropriate formats and codecs for different screening opportunities.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Identify the work of a range of experimental and narrative contemporary animators.
- Storyboard, plan and schedule your project for an effective workflow
- use a range of stop motion techniques to innovate your practice
- use a range of materials and processes to enhance your work
- select and utilise effective sound
- use Dragon Frame and DSLR cameras to capture stop motion
- creatively edit and composite work using Premiere Pro CC
- Export movies using appropriate formats and codecs
- Offer and respond to critical feedback for project development.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an intermediate course. You are expected to have some experience in stop motion animation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual
Assistance, individual tutorials, group crits and hand outs. Individual work outside of class is strongly encouraged to further develop your projects.
We use Google Classroom E-learning platform which will store all tasks, notes and resources. You will be sent an email with the necessary information and will need to login into your Google classroom before each sessions starts.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
The latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course in our fully equipped studios. It would be useful to bring a memory stick or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can further develop your skills and interest in Animation and Film through courses at the City Lit in the City Lit Animation course, Adobe Animate CC, Adobe After Effects CC, Animating with Photoshop, Narrative, Experimental, Documentary and DSLR Film making and a range of editing courses. You can also develop your Fine art practice further through courses in the Foundation diploma in Art and Design and the City Lit Fine Art course.
Stephanie Griffiths is a BAFTA award winning animator with over 20 years professional experience working on numerous well known children’s animated programmes. As well as a string of credits in broadcast model and drawn animation, Stephanie has produced experimental films creatively combining animation and live action. She is also an accomplished puppet maker and puppeteer. Teaching and mentoring has been an integral part of Stephanie’s practice and she has facilitated and mentored a wide range of innovative animation and art projects working with different communities and international artists.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.