What is the course about?
This online course develops your playing technique, reading of music notation, basic music theory and tuning your instrument. You will be working at around Grade 1 standard and above. This course continues with Violin and viola 2B.
This is a live online course. For more information please see our guide to online learning.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Good posture and movement
- Good left hand position and correct finger placement
- Good bowhold and control
- Rhythm, reading and writing music
- Improving your tone quality and intonation
- Major and minor keys and scales: including F Major.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Play with some confidence with a pleasant tone and good bow control
- Tune your instrument using an aid (e.g. tuner, piano)
- Play with the group and on your own
- Hold an independent line of music in rounds and songs
- Play selected major and minor scales and arpeggios
- Play music in the keys of your scales
- Read and improvise simple tunes and rhythms.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for those who have been learning the instrument for at least a year. You should be able to play major scale note patterns starting on each open string in first position, and play and read simple tunes at approximately Grade 1 standard.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The tutor will direct the group, playing along with the whole class (either with the students' line or an accompaniment) or listening to individuals play. Sessions will also include class discussion, aural skills and theoretical study.
To make progress you will need to practise regularly outside class (ideally at least 20 minutes on least 4 days per week).
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring your own violin/viola kit; pen, pencil, eraser, notepad and manuscript paper. A folder for handouts and your notes is also useful. We will use up to 3 textbooks during the level 2 modules costing £5 to £15 each; the tutor will advise what these are at the first session. These will be used throughout the Level 2 courses.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
This course leads to Violin and viola 2B. You may also be interested in joining String ensemble, which will help improve your sight-reading, intonation and ensemble skills.
You may wish to support your learning through a focus on reading, writing and hearing music and musical patterns. For more details about musicianship and music theory please visit our blog: Musicianship and music theory at City lit which lists our full sequence of musicianship and music theory classes.