Sketchbooks: ideas, materials and techniques
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Location: Keeley Street
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
Explore experimental mixed-media techniques in a sketchbook, using drawing, painting and collage. Looking at artist’s work and developing personal themes you will experiment with materials, processes and image-making in an expressive and creative way. Projects may be interpreted in either an abstract or more literal manner.
Some drawing experience would be an advantage.The course may appeal to anyone interested in mixed media, but also suggests links with fine art, sculpture and textiles.
What will we cover?
• Mark-making and creating surfaces for collage.
• Experimental drawing using line, tone and texture.
• Mixed media using drawing, painting and collage.
• The sketchbook seen as an art object.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Explore mark-making as a personal means of expression.
• Experiment with expressive drawing techniques.
• Work with mixed-media techniques, combining drawing, painting and collage.
• Create individual themes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
The course is for all levels. Beginners are welcome but previous drawing experience is useful.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
• Demonstration, group discussions, handouts, practical work, one to one tuition.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
• You will be required to bring one A4 sketchbook, for the course. Book bound or spiral, portrait or landscape with good quality cartridge paper is appropriate. Any other sketchbooks you may have, of a different scale or surface, (such as watercolour) can also be used. All other basic materials will be supplied, but if you have additional drawing or colour materials you would like to try, please bring them along.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
contemporary art sketchbook walk, large scale sketchbook courses, sketchbook introduction to visual journey, mixed media and drawing projects Sketching at the Museum off-site one day courses.
Joe Richardson is a multi-disciplinary artist working in painting, drawing, collage, video, print and sculpture. Since graduating from his MA in Fine Art at Central Saint Martins in 2018, Joe has worked regularly taught at Foundation and Undergraduate level as well as working with Under 18s. Joe is dedicated to encouraging learners to discover new creative approaches to making, exploring their own interests in relation to art and design, and teaching methods and techniques that help to form the foundation of students' creative careers. Joe has undertaken residencies in Beijing, China and Stokkoya, Norway to develop his collaborative and flexible practice. He currently has a permanent collection of video works on display at Universal Music, Four Pancras Square, and has recently held a solo show at CineWindow Winsford and a duo exhibition at FIVE YEARS, London.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.