What is the course about?
To develop your competence in speaking and understanding spoken and written Arabic at an intermediate level. The course also aims at improving fluency and accuracy in communication.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
Sport and leisure, preferences, verbal nouns, particles, free time, going out
-travel and tourism, travelling in the Arab World, blogging, writing complaint letters, past tense verbs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Exchange information about self and a range of topics relating to Arabic culture.
- Communicate orally and in writing with more fluency and confidence.
- Demonstrate improved listening and reading skills and develop a feeling for register of speech
- Discuss aspects of Arabic culture and society comparing them to those of other countries.
- Show improved confidence in dealing with daily social activities
- Use more sophisticated structures and culturally convincing opinions.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have a good command of the language. This stage is for students who have completed Arabic 2 upper: module 1 or studied Arabic for more than 2 years.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide, or at http://www.citylit.ac.uk/self-assess-your-level. You will also need to be able to respond to simple instructions and explanations, as well as read course documents, in English. You will need to be at ease with the use of numbers for daily activities (e.g. using money, telling the time, using the 24 hour clock, reading timetables). It would also be helpful if you had some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is based on the communicative approach:
- active students’ interaction
- emphasis on speaking and listening skills
- pair and group work
- role plays
- use of realia, pictures and authentic material
- use of audio-visual techniques when appropriate
Please note, students are expected to participate in oral classroom activities and to do some homework as and when required.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Course textbook: Mastering Arabic 2 SECOND EDITION. Additional materials will be provided by the tutor.
Please try: The European Bookshop www.europeanbookshop.com/setbooks (020 7734 5259) or Grant and Cutler at Foyles-www.foyles.co.uk/languages (020 7440 3248).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Arabic 2 upper: module 3. Please enrol as soon as possible as places cannot be guaranteed.