What is the course about?
This short course will introduce you to the techniques and tools used to make personal pieces of beaded jewellery. You will use beginners macramé, stringing and knotting techniques, look at beaded jewellery design and patterns and learn about bead wire corsage techniques.
What previous students loved about the course:
"The fact that I returned home with not only a new technique, but a finished product."
"Tutor was very engaging and encouraging."
What will we cover?
- Which tools and beads to use for beaded jewellery making
- How to make a knotted bead bracelet/necklace and earrings using silk and cotton threads
- Bead-stringing patterns: create a necklace that demonstrates one or more of them
- Which wire and findings to use to and how to make and attach them
- How to use crimp beads, crimp bead covers and crimp pliers
- How to use wire to wrap individual beads to create a bracelet, necklace and earrings
- Wire twisting methods to make a simple wire and bead corsage
- How to create knots with a simple macramé technique to make a Shambala bracelet
- How to use appropriate glues for beaded jewellery
- Understand the layout of an online bead shop and what to buy if required.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- confidently make personal pieces of beaded jewellery
- buy beaded jewellery materials and tools online for your own projects and commissions
- construct a corsage, earrings, bracelets and necklaces
- make or choose appropriate findings for each design
- build on your beaded jewellery techniques, whatever level you are.
- use crimp beads and tools
- know when and how to use glue cleanly and effectively in your work.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
All levels welcome, from complete beginners to accomplished jewellers wishing to try out a new medium.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Through practical demonstrations both to the group and to individuals. Group discussions and feedback are encouraged.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Most materials and tools will be provided, although you may want to bring your own beads and pliers. You will be advised what additional materials you will need in the first session.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
City Lit offer a wide range of short and year-long courses in Jewellery design and making, from beginners to advanced, and for professional development.
The courses below might complement what you learned on this course:
VV852 Try it out: precious metal clay jewellery
VV415 Jewellery: electroforming workshop
VV364 Experimental jewellery.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details