What is the course about?
Learn how to create, manage, and promote your own blog using WordPress. WordPress allows you to interact, share ideas, and collaborate with others from home, at work, or in a classroom. Create a blog using the free web-based tool called WordPress.com, and learn how to start blogging effectively.
The course will examine some existing blogs and figure out what makes them successful. You will learn the best ways to find blogs on topics that interest you and how to use blogs to express yourself, teach or even promote a product. The course is hands-on and in two sessions, you will learn to use WordPress by building a blog.
Note that this class looks at the process of setting up a blog and in using WordPress as a tool to achieve this. If you would prefer to use WordPress to create a website you may wish to look at the City Lit courses Build a website with WordPress in two sessions, WordPress: introduction or Design your own website using WordPress: for visual artists before choosing a course to attend.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
• Creating a blog using Wordpress.com.
• Personalising your blog by choosing a "Theme"
• Adding "Pages" - web page content and "Posts" - blog entry content to your blog
• Adding a Menu
• Using Categories and Tags - to arrange your content and make it easier to find.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• Add, edit and delete text content to your blog.
• Add media content (pictures, video, and sound) to your blog
• Link to other content on the web
• Use WordPress Widgets to add more content
• Maintain and monitor your blog.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at beginners. You should have basic keyboard and mouse skills and be able to use the Internet comfortably. You should also be able to follow spoken instructions, read written instructions and information and discuss work with your tutor.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need an active email account that you can access during the lesson to activate your WordPress.com account.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Introduction to blogging Build a website with WordPress in two sessions, WordPress: introduction or Design your own website using WordPress: for visual artists. You might also want to explore some of our digital marketing or social media courses such as Online marketing: a short introduction or social media: getting started.