What is the course about?
Through guided exercises and working with the model, find inspiration for new imagery from a variety of sources such as poetry, song lyrics, mark-making and technical demonstrations all to be interwoven in the flow of the class. Make work you have never made before by surrendering to led processes such as blind drawing, timed exercises and content-led starting points.
What will we cover?
- A ‘stimulus package’ – such as a selection of poems / inspiration imagery / lyrics of songs
- Mark making to express the emotions
- Awareness of the effects of scale & size, shape and form, of surface, drawing material
- Exploring techniques of mark making (making tools, use of line, negative space, collage, mixed media).
- Taking inspiration from looking at artists work eg William Blake, Rothko, Jeff Wall, Eva Hesse, Dorothy Cross, Richard Serra, Tracey Emin
- Exploring inventive drawing techniques eg. (left hand, blind folded, mixed media, multiple lines, timed exercises, negative space etc.)
- Have an open approach to creative processes to find your own 'voice'
- Let go of notions of authorship by working into each other’s drawings.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Use a variety of starting points for working creatively with the model
- Experiment with scale and mark making to express emotional content
- Be familiar with a range of contemporary and recent images by artists working with the figure.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is designed for all levels but come with an open mind and a willingness to experiment.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course involves one to one and group tuition and discussion, practical demonstrations and showing of digital images.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
All materials required are provided, though you may be asked to bring some collage materials. Come in clothes you don’t mind getting dirty.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
VM910 Contemporary portraiture studio: all levels, VH620 Contemporary collage and mixed media
VH753 City Lit Year of the Figure and Portrait.