What is the course about?
This course will help you use different spelling rules and patterns so that you can be confident that your writing is accurate. By gaining this foundational knowledge you will become much more confident not only that you know how to spell the most common English words but also that you can identify your mistakes and work out how to correct them. You will learn about the most important spellings patterns and how to recognise them - for example the patterns involving short and long vowel sounds, the spellings of plurals, double consonants and silent letters. You will also be introduced to the use of phonics to help with spelling and reading as well as different memory techniques. The course will also focus on how some punctuation also affects how a word is spelled as well as its meaning.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
We will cover a variety of different spelling patterns and rules including:
• spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• spelling rules for plural nouns
• spelling rules for double consonants
• recognising when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• using phonics to help with spelling and reading
• different memory strategies
• how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes
• commonly mis-spelt words
• correcting your own writing.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• be more confident in your spelling of common words
• write whole texts or paragraphs with accurate spelling
•recognise and use spelling patterns for words with short vowel sounds
• recognise and use spelling patterns for words with long vowel sounds and diphthongs
• recognise and use spelling rules for plural nouns
• recognise and use spelling rules for double consonants
• recognise when letters are not pronounced (silent letters)
• use phonics to help with spelling and reading
•identify and use different memory strategies
• identify how punctuation can affect meaning e.g. use of apostrophes and punctuate accurately
• correctly spell commonly mis-spelt words
• correct your own spelling mistakes.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is for people who speak English fluently but need help with their writing, specifically spelling. You might feel that your spelling is holding you back at work or that the meaning of your writing is not clear when you send emails or letters friends and family. It is for students at E3-Level 1 learner and ideal for anyone doing functional skills who needs more practice. This is an online course so you will need some very basic computer skills, or be able to learn them quickly. Support will be available.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This course will be taught online face-to-face in a supportive and dynamic way. You will do pairwork and group work as well as study individually. You will always learn and discover the different spelling patterns in contexts which engage you. You will be given homework on a regular basis.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets. You will also need access to a computer, microphone, camera. Headphones or earphones would also be helpful.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
There are several courses you can do at the same time or after this course. The follow-one course is
• Develop your writing and reading: spelling, punctuation, vocabulary (Entry 3-Level 1).
Other courses include:
• Develop your reading and writing (part 1): phonics and spelling (Entry level)
• English for life (entry 3)
• English for life (level 1)
We also have Maths and Digital Skills courses you can do. Your teacher will advise or you can contact email@example.com / 020 7492 2511.